3/28/20

Spotlight Review Wednesday: Manga 3~18~2020


Spotlight Review
.
.
.
.
Manga
.
Synopsis
.
.

Nothing ever happens in the village of Sotoba. In fact, it is viewed as nothing more than a hick town by its most outgoing and fashionable resident, Megumi Shimizu. She wants nothing more than to live in the city, far away from the villagers and their outdated ways of thinking. So when a new European-style house is built on a hill in the village, Megumi believes its residents must be cultured and refined, so she decides to pay them a visit.



However, Megumi doesn't return home that night. After a grueling search, she is found the next day, weak and anemic, with strange bite marks on her. But Megumi is just the first victim in what will soon become an epidemic in Sotoba as the bodies start piling up. The village doctor Toshio Ozaki, along with the priest Seishin Muroi, the loner Natsuno Yuuki, and the Tanaka siblings Kaori and Akira, begin investigating the strange deaths. But the answer to their predicament may be more than any of them can handle, for soon the dead could outnumber the living.


My review!!!

The Manga can be read here...


Okay... I love a good horror if it's not the jump scare kind. Thankfully it's impossible, yes impossible, for a manga to be a jump scare. With that being said it makes the horrors sooo much nicer for me. You see even if there is a point that should have been a jump scare if it was animated, it is just a still picture and can't jump out and scare me!

That being said, there is a point in one of the first set of chapters that would probably have been a jump scare so I'm reallllly glad this one came up under manga and not anime! This one will make a freaky and super scary anime if they ever decide to make one. (didn't look to see if they already did so I'm sorry if they did and I didn't have all the facts.) It reminds me of the ring in a lot of ways. The Japanese way of doing horror is sooo scary!

A lot of the time it is a very clear cut reason it's a horror... Either there is a murderer in town hacking people to bits or there are vampires or something to that effect. I've read 6 chapters if I include the prelude and it's just now starting to hint at something other than being a disease killing people... Which while that in and of itself is a scary thing, it's not the same kind of scare.

It's terrifying right now to think of a disease killing millions mainly because at this time in history there is a Pandemic going on. Yes I did it... I brought the Covid-19 virus into the review. So when I started reading this and it kept talking about an outbreak epidemic I was really hard pressed not to compare it to what's happening now. But it seems that there is a supernatural cause to their epidemic... Not telling!!! Check it out and give it until at least chapter 10 before you even try to form a solid opinion of it.

Here's what rating my opinion got it though...

On a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being a "Perfect-Must-Read" rating I give this...
.
.
.
7
.
.
.
There are times when The art was hard to follow because it was a style I wasn't that familiar with or interested in and the story was a bit wordy at times. Because of that I didn't really feel like I enjoyed it too much. It was a good one  as far as how much thought was put into the story itself though. 

While it wasn't my cup of tea I do hope you check it out before deciding for yourself.... Who knows... You might like it more than I did!!!

As always... Thanx for reading my review!
Hope you have a Happy day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment